Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chico or Bust! (Part 2)



The next place we went was Honey Run.
Honey Run road contains one of the few last covered bridges in California. 
It is also the only three tiered wooden covered bridge in the United States.
It's pretty special.
I've wanted to go see it since I moved to Chico and thought it might be a great place 
to visit with my parents.

Since I had never been there I googled directions.
We ended up taking the long way of course.
Along the single car windy road instead of on the fairly flat two lane road. 
The windy road was an adventure though and it was actually kinda cool because 
the road was covered in graffiti.

The outside
You can no longer drive on it but I'm glad. I enjoyed taking my time walking the length of the bridge. I got to stop and look at all of the nooks and crannies.

It is crazy to think that something built almost 120 years ago out of wood is still standing. 
I can only imagine how many people have crossed this bridge.

The inside....


The inside was so intricate. 


View from the inside. (look at my fancy composition)


Gorgeous creek running below.


Look out below!


View from the other side. You can see where the new bridge was built in order
to preserve the wooden one.


Half way through!






At the very end, looking back. 
The only scary thing is you can only have 120 people on the bridge....



View from the ground with my feet in the water. 
Man did it feel good.


The water was so nice.


The underneath view.


Water rushing over some stacked rocks.


 This place was so pretty and a great place to take the family and picnic.
I really enjoyed the history of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment